Halolz Mafia Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halolz Video Game news site?

+6
Leo E.
Yoshi
Nick Soapdish
Scept
Caelun_Niveus
CodePhoenix
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Halolz Video Game news site? Empty Halolz Video Game news site?

Post by CodePhoenix Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:04 pm

I've thrown this idea around a bit in the chat and gotten some feedback so I decided to make a thread for it here.

Basically I think we all can try to make an honest video game news site that would actually post video game related news and honest reviews than the shit found on Kotaku or Polygon.

I know that Alpar said he would be interested in trying and Nick Soapdish also wants to be a part of it.

With how big this group is, I think its possible to have a large opinion range that can attract a lot of readers, and it would be interesting to have debate articles where we discuss why we like something or not. Also group reviews would be interesting where one can find a game perfect and list reasons why while someone can say it was shit and states reasons why and create a much thorough review.

Also in terms of the news aspect, a lot of us are on at different times and can catch news a lot quicker than others, so because of that flexibility we can always try to post things as soon as they happen.

I want more feedback from you guys and more ideas so we can see if this can actually happen or not. I think it will be a lot of fun to work on something together with you all, but it all depends on if you guys want to do it.
CodePhoenix
CodePhoenix
Vintage Guy
Vintage Guy

Back to top Go down

Halolz Video Game news site? Empty Re: Halolz Video Game news site?

Post by Caelun_Niveus Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:35 pm

It seems like it would be a nice idea. Major problems would be
Site Name
Initial material
Gaining traffic

Additionally, would we be attempting to make money off ads that come through the site? Would we be taking any offer to review a game for publishers, even if they would accept the harshest of reviews? (or perhaps even only "pay" in the game itself?)

So a fourth problem would be "Direction". Will this be a honest side-gig we work in between our real life jobs, or somehow something bigger?
Caelun_Niveus
Caelun_Niveus
Final Fight Guy
Final Fight Guy

ANV Character
Name: Johnny
HP:
Halolz Video Game news site? Left_bar_bleue520/600Halolz Video Game news site? Empty_bar_bleue  (520/600)
TP:
Halolz Video Game news site? Left_bar_bleue1500/1500Halolz Video Game news site? Empty_bar_bleue  (1500/1500)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scept Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:21 pm

Sounds like a good idea on paper. Stick it to Kotaku 'n shit.
Scept
Scept
Vintage Guy
Vintage Guy

ANV Character
Name: Lynn
HP:
Halolz Video Game news site? Left_bar_bleue520/600Halolz Video Game news site? Empty_bar_bleue  (520/600)
TP:
Halolz Video Game news site? Left_bar_bleue1400/1500Halolz Video Game news site? Empty_bar_bleue  (1400/1500)

http://sceptilianblade.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CodePhoenix Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:00 pm

Caelun_Niveus wrote:It seems like it would be a nice idea.  Major problems would be
Site Name
Initial material
Gaining traffic

Additionally, would we be attempting to make money off ads that come through the site?  Would we be taking any offer to review a game for publishers, even if they would accept the harshest of reviews? (or perhaps even only "pay" in the game itself?)

So a fourth problem would be "Direction".  Will this be a honest side-gig we work in between our real life jobs, or somehow something bigger?

The ad revenue will be an interesting thing to deal with. I guess it would be determined on who does what work. Of course a huge portion should go to paying the site to stay online, but then I guess we can do percentages based on how much someone writes, but if people disagree then we can decide later when and if we get ad revenue.

As for offers to review a game, I think we should discuss with them and make sure that they understand that they will be completely honest and will be harsh reviews. No game should get a pass of 10/10 just because a developer paid us or sent a game. As for who gets the game, that should be left up to whoever is reviewing it and if they still like it after the review, or decide on other factors we can discuss when it happens.

And since we are just starting the site off, its really easy to expect that it will take forever to take off, so this should be treated as a side-gig without expecting much in return. Just a fun experiment.
CodePhoenix
CodePhoenix
Vintage Guy
Vintage Guy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Soapdish Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:41 pm

To start off just do it for fun. Worrying about game copies received, ad revenue really is so far away if it ever eventuates. Don't worry so much about being first or current. Sure we can report on stuff but that shouldn't be the focus. It's not like we're going to bring the journalism and get exclusives.

Use tumblr so we don't pay site costs just make it look like a site (like tinycartridge). Later if things work out we could get a domain.

I think it'd be fun we do in between work. Primarily I want to be entertaining and a bit unique. I wouldn't want to just reblog news always.

I think a story how the samurai guy assist trophy got some people mega butt hurt despite him never having a NA release would make a funny story. I'd like to write satire as well. What works is if you review stuff from the perspective of people who like that stuff. Like if I reviewed Hyrule Warriors it'd be from the perspective of a guy who loves musou and basara. Review for a niche (like weebs) instead of being general.
Nick Soapdish
Nick Soapdish
Veteran Guy
Veteran Guy

ANV Character
Name: Cunt Destroyer
HP:
Halolz Video Game news site? Left_bar_bleue375/400Halolz Video Game news site? Empty_bar_bleue  (375/400)
TP:
Halolz Video Game news site? Left_bar_bleue985/1000Halolz Video Game news site? Empty_bar_bleue  (985/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoshi Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:07 am

I'd do this if i had good skill in this,it sounds interesting and such,maybe for those of us with less talent could team up with someone more talented and do a reveiwm like that....it's an idea at least.
Yoshi
Yoshi
Vintage Guy
Vintage Guy

ANV Character
Name: Kit
HP:
Halolz Video Game news site? Left_bar_bleue680/800Halolz Video Game news site? Empty_bar_bleue  (680/800)
TP:
Halolz Video Game news site? Left_bar_bleue500/500Halolz Video Game news site? Empty_bar_bleue  (500/500)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Soapdish Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:09 am

There's nothing stopping us writing stuff now that we can upload later if we want. At least we can read each others stuff and see what we think.

Name is interesting. Go for clever? Go for cool? A pun? I got nothing right now
Nick Soapdish
Nick Soapdish
Veteran Guy
Veteran Guy

ANV Character
HP:
Halolz Video Game news site? Left_bar_bleue375/400Halolz Video Game news site? Empty_bar_bleue  (375/400)
TP:
Halolz Video Game news site? Left_bar_bleue985/1000Halolz Video Game news site? Empty_bar_bleue  (985/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Soapdish Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:10 am

There's nothing stopping us writing stuff now that we can upload later if we want. At least we can read each others stuff and see what we think.

Name is interesting. Go for clever? Go for cool? A pun? I got nothing right now
Nick Soapdish
Nick Soapdish
Veteran Guy
Veteran Guy

ANV Character
HP:
TP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo E. Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:16 am

nicksoapdish wrote:Name is interesting. Go for clever? Go for cool? A pun? I got nothing right now

Spoiler:
Leo E.
Leo E.
Guy in Charge
Guy in Charge

http://hakureiillusion.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Caelun_Niveus Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:22 am

A cool and clever video-game pun... hrm...  Oh, how about "Halolz"?!.... oh wait

Recommendation: The site's name plays, in some form, on the "honest nature" of the site.  Took us forever to get that with good IVs.

What games would be the ones review first though?  There's a difference between being hip and happening and merely being relevant.  I wouldn't mind writing a review for 40k: Space Marine, but that came out 3 years ago.

Recommendation: I say each review should have two or three reviewers to it.  As drastically varied as our opinions are, it would almost be unfair if we only let someone who loved or hated a series/genre review it.  E.G., Leo loves his traps, so letting him alone review a game about feminine-boy alchemists might make the review a bit biased.
Caelun_Niveus
Caelun_Niveus
Final Fight Guy
Final Fight Guy

ANV Character
HP:
TP:
Halolz Video Game news site? Left_bar_bleue1500/1500Halolz Video Game news site? Empty_bar_bleue  (1500/1500)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Soapdish Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:44 pm

Nothing wrong with bias if you're reviewing a series though. Like if the review is about comparing the game and mechanics to other games in the series. The whole idea can be that I know I love those games and the reviewer loves those games. I want to know what a fellow fan thinks. As an example I'd much rather read a musou review from Jim sterling cause I know he likes those games and will tell me what's good about this entry in comparison to others.
Nick Soapdish
Nick Soapdish
Veteran Guy
Veteran Guy

ANV Character
HP:
TP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caelun_Niveus Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:27 pm

Just saying, if we're about honesty and fairness, it would be better to have unbiased opinions alongside biased ones.

Someone might give a Naruto game a 9/10 because it's their favorite aneemay and has a cast of 500 characters, while the next reviewer doesn't care for casual shit and gives it a lower score because they are more critical of the game's stiff controls and how every character mechanically plays the same.

Likewise, I will admit myself to being partial to neutral scores.  As long as the game is "playable" and "enjoyable", I don't find myself noticing the "depth", or lack thereof, so much.  

I am also personally hesitant to hand out "perfect" grades, so my reviews would probably range 9.0-7.0 for good games, and only go less than 4.0 for truly unplayable ones.  I haven't played DmC all the way through, but I would probably give it around 5.0.  I'm sure Alpar would be glad to give it a lower score, based on mechanics alone.

So for each game, doing something along the lines of "Favored, Neutral, Disfavored reviews".  Give a spectrum rather than a single point.

Also, related, what sort of rating scale would we use? 100 point, 10 point, or 5 point?
Caelun_Niveus
Caelun_Niveus
Final Fight Guy
Final Fight Guy

ANV Character
HP:
TP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Soapdish Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:15 pm

Good idea. You can have the fanboy viewpoint and the neutral. That could work.
Nick Soapdish
Nick Soapdish
Veteran Guy
Veteran Guy

ANV Character
HP:
TP:

Back to top Go down

Post by PinkiePie Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:23 am

Sounds like an interesting idea. I'd love to participate, even for free.
PinkiePie
PinkiePie
Guy
Guy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cloak Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:41 am

I'd totally be down for it.
Cloak
Cloak
Vintage Guy
Vintage Guy

ANV Character
Name: Fluffles
HP:
Halolz Video Game news site? Left_bar_bleue720/800Halolz Video Game news site? Empty_bar_bleue  (720/800)
TP:
Halolz Video Game news site? Left_bar_bleue415/500Halolz Video Game news site? Empty_bar_bleue  (415/500)

Back to top Go down

Post by Zink120 Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:18 am

That's an interesting idea. I'd more more than happy to contribute, though I'm not sure how much my opinions would clash with others.
(To elaborate in my perceived difference in taste: I think the Myst series are some of the best games ever made, and love Briad, Tearaway, Thomas Was Alone and all kinds of indies I think I've seen you guys hate on. I'd go as far as to say I enjoyed Sonic Unleashed, I think the Vita is amazing, don't have a 3DS or WiiU yet, and enjoy games like Uncharted and Last of Us. I enjoy all of Nintendo's stuff too just haven't had the chance lately. Don't hate me plz Q__Q)

Brushing quickly over that, something I've often thought about reviews, is that too much of it hinges on personal taste. See, UK newspaper The Guardian's vidja reviewer is someone I'm convinced just hates video games. Other end of the spectrum you have IGN bumming the shit out of their AAA's.
What I think would be a nice way of mixing things up would be to have a game reviewed from two perspectives: Someone who likes that kind of game, and someone who typicially doesn't. That way you get to see it from both sides and make a better choice on whether or not to get it.

The other thing I'd add is that there isn't really a need to grade things. Having concluding remarks such as "Controls: Very tight and responsive, Story: Tropey but unimportant" means a lot more than arbitrary numbers.

In any case, would love to see where you guys go with this. Best of luck if you go for it!
Zink120
Zink120
Vintage Guy
Vintage Guy

https://www.youtube.com/user/Zink120

Back to top Go down

Post by CodePhoenix Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:43 pm

Honestly, I haven't been thinking much about this due to a big move that happened. Kinda came a little out of nowhere, so I've just been busy nonstop. Long story short, moved from Miami, FL to Greensboro, North Carolina.

But yeah, we can start this site on Tumblr, since it has the option to create a blog that can be controlled by different users. But we would still need a name and try to figure out a system of what content should be written and frequency of topics that need to be written and what not. Glad to see a lot of people are on board for this, so it seems like a more fun idea each time I visit this thread.

Also don't worry Zink, I am very open to indies and liked Uncharted, but I have no interest in The Last of Us because I am just tired of zombies. I don't care if its amazing, I just don't care for anything zombie related anymore.
CodePhoenix
CodePhoenix
Vintage Guy
Vintage Guy

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkling Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:50 pm

This is super relevant to my interests. I've been thinking about how I'd make a useful news site layout for gaming. back in the day Nintendo Power had a list of what each reviewer was into such as Rogue-Like, Platformers, Shooters and the like

I think we should make it apparent that everyone has bias when doing reviews, maybe having major games have two or three reviews that tell you whats good about the game from different perspectives.

Also I was a long time lurker very seldom poster on Halolz (RIP). Was following that place for five or six years, sad to see it go even if it wasn't the best at the end your guys comments were always great.

Darkling
Guy
Guy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scept Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:00 am

Aha! Fresh meat!
Tell ya what. Why don't you mosey on over to the introduction thread. Should be stickied at the top of the non-vidya section.
Scept
Scept
Vintage Guy
Vintage Guy

ANV Character
HP:
TP:
Halolz Video Game news site? Left_bar_bleue1400/1500Halolz Video Game news site? Empty_bar_bleue  (1400/1500)

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkling Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:03 am

Sure, sounds good. Didn't mean to impose or anything bromontana!

Darkling
Guy
Guy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scept Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:08 am

No problem, my good man. Always nice to see Halolzians pop up now and again.
Scept
Scept
Vintage Guy
Vintage Guy

ANV Character
HP:
TP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkling Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:09 am

So has the news site idea fled?

Darkling
Guy
Guy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scept Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:11 am

Hm, with the rise of this site, I don't think it'll be necessary. However, I think we might keep this one on the backburner should the need arise in the future.
Scept
Scept
Vintage Guy
Vintage Guy

ANV Character
HP:
TP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkling Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:20 am

Thanks for the link! I've been looking for a gaming site since the whole debacle happened, can't feel good reading the popular sites anymore.

Darkling
Guy
Guy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Soapdish Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:49 am

I had to scratch my itch for satire so I created this.
http://justice-gaming.tumblr.com/

I want to act like video games Stephen Colbert.
Nick Soapdish
Nick Soapdish
Veteran Guy
Veteran Guy

ANV Character
HP:
TP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next